Photo by: MadisonM
Corn Chowder With A Kick
|Posted By:||MadisonM||on 2011-01-12 12:28:07|
- 4 slices chopped bacon
- 2 ribs chopped celery
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 1 chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 ear(s) yellow corn
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 diced potato
- 2 Tbsp. cornmeal
- 1 tsp. oregano, fresh
- 1/2 tsp. ground chipotle chili powder
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro *
- salt & pepper **
- 2 Tbsp. sour cream
Notes* save a couple sprigs
** to taste
- Cut the kernels from one cob of corn and leave the other one intact.
- Cook the bacon and set it aside. Drain all the grease from the pan except a tablespoon.
- Add the celery, onion, jalapeno, chili powder, paprika, cumin, salt & pepper to the tablespoon of bacon drippings. Saute for about 5 minutes or until the onion is soft.
- Add the potato and cook for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cornmeal over everything and add the milk, broth, oregano, corn kernels, and cob of corn.
- Bring to a boil then turn down to a low simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chowder from the heat and stir in the cilantro. Remove the cob of corn and divide between serving bowls.
- Garnish each one with a spoonful of sour cream and a sprig of cilantro.
Reviewed on August 05, 2011 14:12 - by murfandkit
I do enjoy hot and spicy food but would add jalapenos and smoked paprika near the end. Do it a little at a time to avoid eye poppin heat. Also consider using canned jalapenos. The taste is verrrry flavorful and once we adjusted for the spiceiness we found it quite good. 3 stars.