Photo by: MadisonM
Steamed Mussels in Creamy Tomato Garlic Broth
|Posted By:||MadisonM||on 2011-03-29 14:04:59|
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 finely chopped yellow onion
- 6 minced garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley
- 1 28 oz. can drained chopped tomatoes in thick puree
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. dried red pepper flakes
- 4 lbs. scrubbed & debearded mussels, fresh
- 1/8+ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- salt (to taste)
- optional garlic toast
- In a large pot, heat the oil over moderately low heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley, tomatoes, thyme, and red-pepper flakes. Reduce the heat and simmer, partially covered, for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard any mussels that have broken shells or that don't clamp shut when tapped. Add the mussels to the pot. Cover; bring to a boil. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, just until the mussels open, about 3 minutes. Remove the open mussels. Continue to boil, uncovering the pot as necessary to remove the mussels as soon as their shells open. Discard any that do not open.
- Stir the black pepper and cream into the broth. Taste the broth and, if needed, add salt. Simmer until broth is rewarmed and now hot and ready to serve.
- Ladle the broth over the mussels (and optional: serve with garlic toast).
No reviews found!