Photo by: healthNut
Caprese Salad (Insalata Caprese)
|Posted By:||healthNut||on 2011-07-05 13:31:28|
- 1/2 lb. 1/4 in. thick slices fresh Mozzarella cheese
- 2 large 1/4 in. thick slices vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- to taste coarse salt *
- to taste freshly ground black pepper
- optional 2 tbsp. drained capers
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
Notes* Fleur de Sel Salt if you have it
- On 4 individual serving plates, alternate fresh mozzarella slices with sliced tomatoes, overlapping for effect.
- Tear fresh basil leaves and sprinkle liberally over the slices. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Optional: Sprinkle capers over the top.
- Just before serving, drizzle on some top-quality extra-virgin olive oil. Insalata Caprese should never be allowed to sit in oil for any length of time and become soggy. Also, despite what some do, no vinegar of any kind goes on true Insalata Caprese!
Reviewed on July 18, 2011 10:14 - by maggie
AWESOME & EASY!