|Posted By:||brendacabana||on 2011-06-27 00:33:48|
- 1/2 cup(s) onion
- 1 jalapeno
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can(s) diced tomatoes with green chiles
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 8 corn tortillas
- peanut oil
- Saute the onion until translucent then add jalapeno, and garlic, in 1tbls oil, I like to use peanut oil.
- Next put onion, jalapeno, and garlic into quart sized pan adding chicken broth, and diced tomatoes as well.
- Add all the spices. Cayenne pepper, crushed red pepper, chili powder, and cumin, salt and pepper. It is really a "to taste" dish so if you want it spicier add more spice :)
- Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 15 minutes. While this is cooking begin to make tortilla strips.
- Cut corn tortillas into thin 1/2" strips.
- Coat pan with peanut oil with enough to barely cover the strips.
- Heat oil to high, and begin to add the strips. Flip them until golden brown and drain on plate covered with paper towels and salt them.
PUT EVERYTHING TOGETHER: Pour soup into bowl, topping with tortilla strips. You can also add optional: cheese, cilantro, avacado, sour cream, lime, or just about anything you want.
Can be stored in the freezer, defrosted on the counter and heated up again later.