Photo by: MissSally
Avocado & Spinach Eggs Benedict!
|Posted By:||MissSally||on 2012-03-28 21:10:04|
You can always add in Canadian bacon if you desire. I like this with or without. :-)
- 1/2 cup butter *
- 1/4 cup flour, white
- 2 cups 2% milk **
- 2 cups (=8 oz.) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1+ Tbsp. grated romano cheese
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/8 tsp. ground mustard
- 1/8 tsp. coriander, ground
- 1 Tbsp. white vinegar ***
- 6 cold eggs, cage free
- 1 large peeled & sliced, ripe avocado ****
- 1 large handful stems removed, baby spinach
- 3 split & toasted, English muffins *****
Notes* don't use margarine!
** soy and almond don't work so well
*** for poaching eggs
**** not too ripe or it'll get mushy when you peel it
***** or I like to use other interesting breads
- In a large saucepan, melt butter and then stir in flour gently until smooth, gradually adding the milk. Bring this to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until it thickens. Reduce the heat and stir in the cheeses and seasonings. Cook and stir until cheese is melted, and keep warm.
- To prepare your eggs, put about 3 inches of water in a large skillet that has high sides, and add the vinegar. Bring this to a boil and then reduce heat and simmer gently. Break your cold eggs, one at a time, into a custard cup or saucer; holding the cup close to the surface of the water, slip each egg into water. Cook, uncovered, until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken (but aren't too hard), about 4 minutes. You can cook a little longer if you like less runny yolks like I do. Actually, this is the traditional way to poach your eggs, but I cheat and have an egg poacher thingy I use which puts my mind at ease so I don't botch this part - lol.
- To build: On a half of a muffin or on a slice of your bread, put a layer of baby spinach down, then some slices of avocado. Next you carefully place your egg (if you're trying to avoid breaking the yolks) on top. Then top with your delicious cheese sauce. Oh my goodness is this the best!!!
No reviews found!