Photo by: Bellas-Bar
|Posted By:||Flake||on 2011-05-19 12:27:45|
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 medium halved and sliced onion
- 14 1/2 oz (411ml) drained sauerkraut
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 1/2 lb (680g) potatoes
- 14 oz (397g) sliced on the diagonal turkey kielbasa
- 8 oz (227g) shredded swiss cheese
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat a 10 x 10 x 2-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl with a slotted spoon. Stir sauerkraut and caraway seeds into onion and toss to mix. Return skillet to heat and add 1/3 of wine. Heat through, 1 minute.
- Thinly slice potatoes with a food processor, V-slicer or mandoline. Begin layering: Spread a layer of potatoes (1/3 of the slices) on the bottom of prepared dish, overlapping slightly. Top with half of the sauerkraut mixture and half of the kielbasa.
- In a medium bowl, toss Swiss cheese with cornstarch. Pour 1/3 of the wine over the kielbasa, then top with half the cheese. Add a second layer of potatoes, and the remaining sauerkraut and kielbasa. Pour remaining wine over kielbasa, then fan remaining potatoes over kielbasa. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Coat a sheet of foil with nonstick spray and cover dish. Bake, covered, at 375 degrees for 40 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 20 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
Reviewed on November 23, 2011 07:20 - by austinsmom
My husband and son loved this! They both love sauerkraut so I knew it was going to be a hit.
Reviewed on October 05, 2011 07:48 - by mmalta113
Nice! I had to change some ingredients--I used tinned corn beef instead of kielbasa, and white cheddar instead of Swiss cheese. It turned out very well and will be made again, I'm sure.
Reviewed on May 23, 2011 18:33 - by Bellas-Bar
We had this for dinner tonight and wow, what a tasty and unique meal. The only change I would make is to use a larger casserole dish so that there is more of the slightly crispy top layer which was the best part! We will be having this for dinner at least once a month.